- 8 ounces Semisweet Chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 pound Butter, room temperature (4 sticks)
- 5 Egg Whites
- 1 cup Sugar
- Heat 1 inch of water in bottom of double broiler over medium heat; place 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate in the top half of double broiler; tightly cover the top with plastic wrap; allow to heat for 8-10 minutes; add vanilla and sit until smooth; set aside until needed
- Place 1 pound of butter in bowl of electric mixer with paddle; beat the butter on low for 2 minutes then on medium for 3 minutes; scrape down the sides of the bowl; beat on high until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes; transfer the butter to a large stainless-steel bowl; set aside until needed
- Heat 1 inch of water in the bottom half of double broiler over medium heat; place 5 egg whites and 1 cup of sugar in top half of double broiler
- Gently whisk the eggs whites until they reach a temperature of 120 degrees, 3-5 minutes; transfer the heated egg whites to the bowl of electric mixer with whisk attachment; beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4 minutes; remove from mixer
- Fold the melted chocolate into the butter, using a rubber spatula to thoroughly combine; fold in the whipped egg whites until thoroughly combined
A mixer is always handy when making frosting!
If you want to make your cakes look even fancier here are some cake decorating supplies!